Hi everyone! Since Mother’s Day is coming up soon, I thought I would share some ideas for celebrating our moms without spending a fortune. I love Mother’s Day and the whole idea of having a special day for mothers. They are such important people in our lives. If not for the love of our mothers, where would we be? I know I’m tremendously thankful for my own mother. She has been a constant rock in my life and as I’ve become an adult and had children of my own, I finally truly realize all that she has done for me. I would not be where I am today without her love and care. I’m sure all of you feel the same way about your own mothers.
From what I have read about the history of the holiday, the lady who worked so hard to make Mother’s Day an official holiday only wanted it to be a day to honor mothers and spend time with our mother. She was highly upset that it became such a commercialized holiday as it has. She even ended up fighting against the companies that used it to make more money. You can read more about it on Wikipedia HERE.
I don’t see anything wrong with buying your mother a gift for Mother’s Day, but I do think it’s important to also spend quality time with our mothers and enjoy time together with them.
Here are some ideas I came up with for celebrating Mother’s Day without spending a fortune, but still honoring our mothers and having a special day:
- Cooking a meal for mom is always a great idea. Kids especially love to help with cooking and moms love to have a break from cooking, whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner! Just make sure you clean up so mom doesn’t have to!
- If you don’t want to cook an entire meal, you could try baking her some cookies or a cake.
- Make her a card and/or write her a poem or just write out a note and tell her how thankful you are for her and how much she means to you.
- Make sure she doesn’t have to do any housework all day on Mother’s Day, if you can.
- The whole family could go to a local park or garden and go for a walk together, then maybe get an ice cream or snow cone on the way home.
- Watch a movie together and make some popcorn to go with it.
- Get creative & crafty and make her a gift. Moms love homemade gifts from their children.
- If you live close enough, go to church together.
- Play some board games together as a family.
- Just give her a big hug and tell her that you love her. That’s really all any mom wants to be honest!
So there are a few ideas for you to get started thinking about how you can celebrate your mom on Mother’s Day. I hope this helps and just remember that the most important thing is just to spend time together. That is way more important than buying an expensive gift. And if you don’t live close to each other, at least try to call her or connect online somehow!
Just for fun, here is a picture of me and my mother on Mother’s Day last year:
How does your family celebrate Mother’s Day? I would love to hear some new ideas! Please feel free to share in a comment.
I hope you all have a very blessed Mother’s Day this weekend!
Until next time,
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”