Since we are in the middle of a Fast Food “Avoidance” Challenge, I thought I would share some tips on how our family keeps from spending extra money on fast food. There are so many things you can do, but I will share what works for us.
- The most important thing you can do is always PLAN AHEAD and always have a back-up plan.
- Make out a menu plan for the week for dinner at the very least. I have found that for me, writing down a plan helps me to stick with it more than not having it in writing. I also post my dinner menu plan for the week on our refrigerator so that the whole family knows what to expect.
- Try to always have a few frozen pizzas or other frozen meals (even if it’s leftovers from a dinner you already cooked that you can thaw out and eat) on hand for those unexpected busy days.
- Anytime you are going to be out running errands, take along some trail mix or energy bars for you and the kids. This will help you in case you get the munchies while you are out. Especially if your going grocery shopping, we tend to buy more food when we are hungry. You could even put the snacks in an insulated lunch bag on hot days.
- Have some sugar free gum along with you, it can help you not to think about being hungry.
- Set out the ingredients (at least ones that don’t need to be refrigerated) for dinner the night before so you have everything right there on the counter. This helps move things along for dinner preparation. You could even cut up veggies the night before and have them ready to go.
- Make sure you eat right before you leave the house to run errands, ESPECIALLY THE KIDS!!
- Always bring along water, or some other drink when you are going out for awhile. A lot of times we tend to swing by the fast food places just for something to drink and it ends up being more than just a drink!
- When you are out driving somewhere, try to purposely avoid driving by restaurants. Make it fun, try finding new ways to get where you need to go.
- Use your crockpot! I love my crockpot. If I can put something in it in the morning and know that it will be ready for dinner, it makes my life so much easier. Especially on days when I’m going to be out for the afternoon.
So there are just a few easy things you can do to avoid having to buy fast food for your family for dinner. I would love to hear if you have any other ideas or suggestions! What does your family do to keep from spending extra on fast food?