Our Summer vacation from school is officially started! Woohoo!! We were all definitely ready and in need of a break from school! I’m a planner by nature and so I’ve been planning for months for our summer. We don’t really have our kids do a lot of summer camps, but we look for fun activities that are free or very inexpensive. Here is a list of activities we will be participating in this summer:
- Our local library, York County Library , is one of our most favorites. They have a wonderful Summer Reading Program every year. Their theme this year is “On your mark, get set…READ!!” The kids have charts they fill out for reading time which they turn in to get prizes. Along with that, every Wednesday there is a show at the library. The shows are different each week and they always portray the theme for that summer. Some of the acts have been magicians, puppet shows, skits, animals, juggling, clowns and musicians. We love this program because it means NO screen time! The kids are reading and enjoying an entertaining show, and it’s all FREE!!! Score!
- We also have always participated at a local church’s VBS program. Our home church’s VBS is always at night and with the little guys, it’s so hard to do night time ones. So about 5 years ago we found Ebenezer Presbyterian Church’s VBS program and have been going every summer ever since! We love how they are so passionate and enthusiastic about the children and what they are doing. They go from 9am-12 noon on Monday through Friday and then on Friday evening they have a program for the parents where they sing songs they have learned. Then there is a cookout afterwards. My oldest, Popstar, is actually too old to be in the program this summer and has signed up as a volunteer. She’s been so excited about helping and I love seeing that spark in her. She reminds me of myself at that age, I have always loved being around kids and thrived whenever given the opportunity. So that will be one of our summer activities, the middle week of June. Their theme this summer is a gardening theme, I think that will be so much fun. This one also means NO screen time and FREE!
- We have a membership to the Culture & Heritage Museums of York County. So we will be utilizing this a lot over the summer. The Museum of York County will be having several different events for children, including a weekly program called Wonderful Wednesdays each Wednesday morning and is free for members! They have started a new Dinosaur Exhibit they are promoting and will be doing fun classes for kids to learn all about Dinosaurs. We will plan to try and attend at least a few of these. Also with the same membership, we will be going to the Main Street Children’s Museum as much as we can. This is more for the younger guys, but we will still enjoy that as well. After all, it will be free and it is indoors and air-conditioned…and once again NO screen time!
- Another place we plan to frequently go is the Rock Hill Fire Department Museum. This was just opened last year and our kids have LOVED it so much! We are so blessed that the City of Rock Hill and the Fire Departments invested in this museum. It is geared toward children, but there are some small exhibits that adults would even enjoy. It is FREE (woohoo!) and they even have picnic tables outside as well as tables you can eat at inside.
- The last one I want to mention is Regal Cinema’s Summer Movie Express. We have a participating theater right here in Rock Hill. They have older movies playing for $1 per person every Tuesday and Wednesday morning. They usually allow you to bring your own snacks, which helps a lot! Some people I know go every week, but we will try to make it at least once or twice.
So, those are the “big” things we will be doing to keep us busy this summer. Along with that we will be doing a lot of things at home. I am encouraging the kids to do something creative every day, we’ll see how that goes!
What are your summer plans? I would love to hear what you are doing this summer with your kiddos!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”